Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

dance you snowflakes, winter is almost here


Yes, its officially freezing up here. Today I bought vegies and all I can think of cooking is soups and curries. Arrgh me hearties. I have started wearing thermal leggings and jumpers under things.

If you are keen for a bit of frostbite and festival fun, the wintermagic festival is happening soon. First 2 keen beans to book my spare room win themselves free festival accomodation.

Click here for more info (aboutthe festival, not my spare room).

What is beautiful about this time of year is the autumn leaves, dusting off teddy bear jackets from depest darkest wardrobe depths and cooking, cooking cooking.

The food co-op has a remarkable selection of lovely things at the mo: eggplants, all orange vegetables, broccoli, a zillion kinds of potatoes including those great pale yellow waxy kinds, sald veg, fresh chestnuts, fresh walnuts, wild Chinese garlic..and more. Tonight I was admiring a particularly shiny, hard, lovely onion just (before cutting it and slowly cooking it in very nice organic spanish olive oil and a dash of balsamic...) A simple brown onion, but such a nice specimen, so fresh. Aaaah, winter cooking.

I think it calls for:
- anything with tomatoes, chilli and capers
- anything baked and stuffed with other things
- anything swimming in a clear soup and featuring udon
- baking with yeast (and here I defer to Merirsa and Mermaidgrrl as I suck at yeast cooking)
- anything with pumpkin

I might be getting carried away, but last week I took a bunch of (gently plucked) small branches of Japanese Maple and other leaves to work and made a bit of an Autumn ikebana corner. My pod mates were surprisingly pleased, and even the one who I recently told (nicely) that his corner needed joozhing was happy with the leaf extravaganza being perched on his shelves.

You see, otherwise you don't even feel the seasons in our laminexish office environ. Day in day out: nice moderate temperature, typey type, cups of tea, meetings, phone hook ups, the sneaky personal email, the spontaneous pause and chat, the lunch at the table over the newspaper, typey type, cup of tea, guilty look at the to do list, a quick but more typey type, the email flick, shut down, gather belongings, home time. Repeat ad nauseum. No gales, no sunshine, no autunm leaves...

Next perhaps it will be the haiku poetry comp for the pod or rousing a team of snowflakes for the office winter pantomime('no, I just don't *feel* it - you're meant to be cold remember? Try it again'). Or perhaps planting out the library area with bulbs so we can all feel spring arrive. Aaah.

4 Comments:

Blogger meririsa said...

LOVE waxy yellow potatoes. Why can't you buy them more widely? All my rellies in Tasmania grow them and they not only taste good on their own, but are VERY re-usable in a potato salad the next day. Mmmmmm. Carbs!

2:17 pm  
Blogger Georgie George said...

Hi, have seen your website via dave bloustien's, and wanted to ask you some questions about your lovely prints. I do lino printing myself (very amateur affair, lino discarded during work renovations, use iron to soften lino, use hands to transfer paint to paper), and was wondering what mediums you are printing onto? Butchers paper is okay for roguh work but often tears in the transfer, as does rice paper, and trying to come up with a practical option. Really love the simplicity of printing, nice to discover someone else into it.
Georgina

8:51 am  
Blogger J said...

Hey Georgina
Welcome to the seagreen lounge, nice to meet you. I LOVE printmaking and will happily talk about it for hours. I would say what you are doing is wonderfully adaptive and fuelled by a creative spirit that can't help but bubble out - not amateur! The Japanese style of printmaking has always used hands or a small hand held tool (eg a 'baron' - round flat thing you can get for about $5 in art shops) not a huge fancy press, so you are in good company. I do mine by hand too. As for lino, recycling is great, just as long as your lino is the old fashioned thick and juicy kind. Modern lino is too thin to cut well I find. You could also try offcuts of wood - flat pine works well or old floor board segments (although hard wood = harder on your tools). Grain can be fun for texture. As for paper, I just use thinish cartridge pads and riip pages out, unless its special in which case cold pressed water colour paper not too textured or thick can be fun.
Eek, sorry for essay. Might post on weekend with some of my fave websites and links for more info.
P'raps we should should have a wkshop sesh some day!

10:43 pm  
Blogger Georgie George said...

looking forward to the essay. Will think a bit about my tips and tricks-lately my lino prints have been concentrated towards the under-6's ie "christian the clown","gus the elephant", and less about getting effects from the material, which yes, is hard from my lino which is a bit on the thin side.

1:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home