Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The sound of one hand typing

Procrastination is such an art. I have written whole boring tomes on it in the past, describing the why, the how and the when as an act of procrastination in itself (how post modern, how predictable). For example, do you ever just check your emails for that moment of surprise and distraction – fleeting whimsical joy of some random comment or hello across the miles?

I do.

Possibly far too often.

And you know what’s funny (but probably not as you’ve probably done this too) – is that I’m almost certain I can tell by sound what people are working on in the office. I don’t mean that I can hear the whiny noises of an open report on screen compared to a satisfied humming of a personal email – ie I don’t hear any sound from the things themselves, I am not completely bonkers – but the timing and tone of the typing. Yes, I think there is a particular fast happy typing that speaks of no pondering and an abundant desire to communicate that comes with the personal email, and a serious tappety tap that comes with working on actual work. Anyone else notice this too?

2 Comments:

Blogger alison said...

Maybe I'm not listening hard enough.

But I know the sound of no hands typing means I am procrastinating and surfing the internet :)

4:03 pm  
Blogger mistermicool said...

yes, I know what you mean J!

And you know, I often know who is walking in a room by the sound of their footsteps.

And back living with the folks, I used to always know who was coming about to come through the door by the sound of the key in the lock.

Serious!

10:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home