Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

New Years Resolutions (part 2)

So somewhere along the way in January I have become a New Year Resolution voyeur. Fascinated with other people's, which in addition to the ones I posted earlier of my house mates have included work mates:
- 'fitness - just one this year, we're ditching the personal development one, did enough of that last year'
- 'to save enough money to visit family back in the UK'
- 'watch more movies, read more books'.

I have decided that my random grab bag of resolutionish-thingstodoish items might best be characterised by an overarching statement of 'do more, think less'. This might seem odd for someone to whom daydreaming out of a nice window is almost a second career, but I am making a conscious effort to up the ante on action. Less endless deliberating, less analysis, less waiting for a nice clear rational way forward - more spur of the moment, more gut feelings and more doing.

So where has this lead me so far?

Well last week I went to yoga 3 times (ask how excited I am about that!), this weekend I am off to a hula workshop and I think, but am not entirely sure, that I have just joined an indooor soccer team (ask me if I even know a single solitary soccer related rule or own a pair of proper sandshoes - errrm...). But this physical stuff is not the only manifestation of the doing, just the most obvious. The other type of 'more doing' that I've been trying to do is the letting go of things more quickly ('oh I know, maybe just send that work email after only editing once, and don't rewrite 5 times to try and capture all possible angles of interpretation'), in the absence of a clear and firm rationale for decisions making one anyway ('hello random art calss - you'll do') and maybe just maybe being a little more open with relationship stuff ('oh stop modelling all possible outcomes and their likelihood and just give it a go!'). Sounds good huh?

2 Comments:

Blogger BSharp said...

Sounds good. But just be careful you don't do so much you get all mixed up, you know, trying new yoga moves early in the relationship, dribbling in the work emails, or letting go of the hoop with only one revision

I think I'm a tad anti-resolutionist myself.

10:42 pm  
Blogger J said...

Oh yes I can see it ending in tears too - I could find myself being mindful of my stretch as I lean over the keyboard and just you know, breathing into it - ohmmm.

Would it be fair to say that you've resolved not to have resolutions?? ;)

9:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home