Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

On the Stereo this week

I have a friend in Adelaide (ok so a friend of a friend who I claim as my own now! Thankyou Angel and Dr Jeremy) who does a regular music email - gigs, album reviews, reviews of books on music etc. I rarely know what the hell he's talking about, but it's a nice kind of not knowing, like being pleasantly baffled as a kid while you doze in the back seat of the holden as the adults talk in the front seat. Yes, I think that if there is gathering of music lovers then I am firmly seated at the kids table, as in I like it, I want to be part of it, but I'm probably eating with my hands and eating desert before mains, mixing up icecream and footy franks, while the grown ups are nibbling canapes and champers. But we're all having fun right? So that's the main thing.
Anyway, my point, if I had one, was to share with you what Stu is listening to this week in case you are inspired to try something new on the CD (oh MP3, hifi-pod, whatever it is kids store sounds on these days), as if it's on his stereo, I'd be happy to have it on mine. Also just flagging that if you want a nice local (adelaide or sydney), *in the know* gig guide / gig reviews emailed to you that doesn't make you feel stupid for bathroom cleaning to Culture Club on occasion, but gently forgives all your listening foibles and suggests new things, then email me and I'll send you his most recent.

On the Stu Stereo this week
GENTLE BEN & HIS SENSITIVE SIDE - The Sober Light of Day cd (Spooky)
THUJA - All Strange Beasts of the Past cd (Emperor Jones)
THE SILVERMINE TAPES - A Tenuous Thread cd (Patterns in Static)
STRAIGHT TO VIDEO - Black Solo cdep (Sounds from the Zoo)
YO LA TENGO - Electr-o-pura cd (Matador) CAN - Delay 1968 LP (Spoon)
ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS - Armed Forces LP (Radar)
THE SHINS - Oh Inverted World cd (Spunk / Sub Pop)
THE SEA AND CAKE - One Bedroom cd (Spunk / Thrill Jockey)
LAMBCHOP - What Another Man Spills cd (Merge)

On the Sea Green Stereo this week*
STEREOLAB - Dots and Loops
JOHN PARISH & POLLY JEAN HARVEY - Dance hall at louse point
GORILLAZ - G sides
THIEVERY CORPORATION - Sounds from the thievery hi-fi
LEFTFIELD - Leftism
HAPPY MONDAYS - Bummed
LOU REED - perfect day
ELLA FITZGERALD - A Tisket a Tasket
and... no surprises for guessing.. WHITE STRIPES - get behind me satan

And talking all things stereophonic, and this is well cheeky, but hey a girl has to ask... if anyone has / wants to make copies of (or can teach me how to download in under 5 minutes before I get bored and go put a CD on) any: Jeff Buckley, Tom Waits or Leonard Cohen I would be much obliged.

* Did I mention that a houseguest a few weeks back said 'do you have any music that isn't ironic?' and I was speechless. Actually I wish I had been speechless, instead I said 'oh did you find my Ricki Martin CD?' to which there was stunned silence. Bum! Just made it worse!

NB yes I am not at work this week - counld you tell? Blogging up a storm...

Adendendum
Got email from music friend confirming that indeed I would be sitting at the kids table, fortunately he tells me i would be in good company!! Ah bless that open honesty of the straighforward fella.
Got v generous emails from a few people offering to lend or ahah me hearties the above mentioned CD/s.
I discover that B-sharp on tour (who is lappping up glaciers and sea lions and going great guns in esdpanol) is having trouble posting comments. date line issue? the commments go the other way around the sink when you pull the plug out? Transcontinental Blogspot techno foibles? Who knows. Sorry pet - post instead if you like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home