Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

sky bird takes me to strange land

A quick post from the first moments in a new country (new to me) while I grapple with aching legs, a tiredness so pervasive it feels like I'm floating, and the beginnings of that deep core chill that creeps in when you need to sleep.

Not that the journey is wholly responsible for the tired, that would be two nights of silly not enough sleep before leaving.

The country I've landed in has beautiful script all wiggly and mysterious, it looks like primal drawings everywhere.

The people on the plane were snuggled up tight and sleeping for most of the day, amazing how so many people can be so quiet when the lights are down low.

I realised on landing that I'd done woeful non-reading about where I was coming to, like the worst 'it'll be just like home wont it?' tourist. Leaving the airport I had a strange moment of wondering what was and wasn't legal here. I stopped myself from jay walking just in case.

I am here for just a week including time in the sky, to do various learning and seeing and doing which I will relay shortly.

For now just noting my strange transition moments, my floating in the boundary space from here to there, and of dream becoming reality as the brief random preconceptions I had of this place get burst wide open by an influx of actual experience over the next few days.

3 Comments:

Blogger meririsa said...

Miss you, globetrotting friend! I know you are busy, but can we catch up soon?
I know what you mean about the script of the country you are in. I've always liked it - and apparently it's quite a phonetic language to read, unlike that of it's major neighbouring countries.
Hope you have adjusted to where you are, and call me when you get back. xx

7:04 pm  
Blogger J said...

yes indeed, lets have a belated birthday lunch! (which reminds me did you get a something hand delivered in your letterbox? please say yes because otherwise I think it must be with a neighbour).

My life should be easier now that uni is finished for the semester and this is done.

and yes I just found out yesterday that it has a phonetic alphabet, until then I had assumed it was characters, rather than syllables (if that makes sense).

xx

11:05 pm  
Blogger meririsa said...

Yes to all above!

6:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home