Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Long and happy life

Being happy is important, and is linked to our health - we all know that. This study found that "[..] the effects of happiness on longevity were "comparable to that of
smoking or not". Implications?
- "I'm quitting my job for health reasons - I want to live longer"
- "Please don't be miserable around me - I'm sick of inhaling your passive unhappiness"?
- Signage ... "No whining or whinging within 3 metres of the bar area - we care for our staff's health"

But seriously, also:
"In Veenhoven's findings, published in the Journal of Happiness Studies, a scientific publication founded in 2000, the strongest effect on longevity was found among a group of US nuns followed through their adult life - perhaps reflecting the feel-good factor from belonging to a close-knit stress-free community with a sense of purpose."

I'm up for a close-knit, stress-free community with a sense of purpose - sounds good. I often think that life would be a bit nicer if it was more like monastic living (I'm actually not being sarcastic!). How could we do that large-scale? Transforming our suburbs into friendlier places where we know and like our neighbours? Addressing social isolation and the root causes of poverty and disadvantage? Less advertising to make people feel lacking in everything? Everyone making time to help other people beyond their in-the-same-house family? Less frantic commuting and worrying about money? I'm all about the local these days - my community utopia is a bit like the one I'm in, but with more sharing and helping. Bring it on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home