Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

singular - part 1

I walk down the street and see all these little faces peering back, some have the satisfied, non eye catching look of the happily partnered, others look intensely, walking jerkily serial killer style, and then there are the 'other' category - the engaging look which could be interest, but is not clearly and unambiguously interested, could just be a stare for the sake of it. Does no one wear their heart on their sleeve anymore? Except when drunk. Except when slightly kooky and stalkerish?
I want to broadly canvas interest, take applications, review them using a panel and then and only then decide once and for all whether to stay single or maybe take a partner. I would set up a stall (maybe a website - hey maybe it's this website) and say 'hey, I have relatively good genes. Do you want children who can do moderately well at school sportsdays, have good strong bones and all the requisitve organs, are hirstute, lively, funny, clever, capable handed? I am those things - I am a repository of those things for your progeny. What's that? Not a breeder? No worries, I can offer companionship into the twilight years, a snuggly body in bed in cold winter months, someone to sit next to at the movies. I think. I'm not exactly sure whether I could handle someone to talk to every single morning and every single night, I might run away on silence retreats occasionally, might leave you, might take on lovers, might change my mind about monogomy and the notion of romantic love. Might - might not. Interested?'
And if I canvass and only the random folk I walk past every night apply, I might say 'sorry, we didn't end up recruiting after all - no one met the full set of criteria. Resumes will be kept on file for future.'