Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Oh woe is me. What? Sorry, no I wasn’t talking to you. um yeah. Just a vegie pad thai thanks.

There is something intrinsically humbling and shoe scuffing about the long haul commuterlife. I eat alone at tiny Japanese restaurants or get takeaway (mmm vegie and rice $4 specials) and eat on the train, or, even more glamorous, eat something I assemble at work. This is because I have given up on the idea of eating really really late when I get home. See? Not glam. If I miss a train I slouch around, do more work, clean my desk, walk the long way round, buy dinnner. Sounds leisurely I know, but feels kind of like looking busy. I have these (occasional, I promise, occasional) moments of sheer despair where I see myself looking tired and eating at some overlit Thai takeaway, by myself, too tired to read, to tired to think much of anything nice, with bad frizzy hair and also noticing that I’m so shallow I’m worried about frizzy hair and I think ‘oh dear, what was my life all about again?’ because I’ve forgotten, but seem to remember that this wasn’t quite how I planned to furnish it and have a niggling feeling that there were important, and um, like fun, things that I had planned to do with it. And maybe in places other than bed, work, the train or the thai takeaway. Not long till moving now – funny how once you’ve decided to change a situation enduring the last little bit of it can suddenly seem extra excruciating.

4 Comments:

Blogger BSharp said...

Hang in there. Not long now. I am also familiar with solo asian fast food. Yes it is a bit crushing. But at least you don't have to worry about not ordering too much chili or celery or some other weird partner prefence!

9:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey did you know you'll be just a few blocks from me when you move? So if you see someone looking frizzy and wan in the local takeaway, that'll be me.

9:51 am  
Blogger meririsa said...

We walked to someone's house only a few blocks further on from where you'll be living, MissJ, and it only took us 45 minutes! Saw lots of Bakery Cafe's on the way! I reckon E-chan and I will be visiting soon!

5:50 pm  
Blogger J said...

Hey cool, lots of catching up then Betty Sue and Meririsa! And hey, I wont be in those takeaway places anymore to see you there because I'll have a home to go to that is this side of the great western plains :) Home cooked meals before 10 at night - woo hoo!

2:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home