Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Bored but busy

This has to be one of the worst combinations. It comes to me as a result of having to be somewhere and look busy but not being all that in love with the thinking tasks required. I read an email that says ‘new petty cash form’ and want to cry with boredom. What are the new features of said form? Where will I find a hard copy and electronic copy? Oh god shoot me. Tippety typey type and make some documents. Don’t sing. Don’t sneak off to the library to put your feet up and read your novel. Don’t write your Opus, don’t doodle, just tippety typey type like a good girl. Be even tempered and work at a steady pace, little automaton, and make nice little nuggets of saleable work. Check my emails a zillion times a minute. Make another cup of tea. Wish the day would be over. Keep looking busy. Bored, bored, bored and busy. It’s like a blues song that needs writing. A whole world of strange Dilbert inspired blues. Kind of Douglas Coupland meets Muddy Waters but maybe sung with all strange and squeaky spoken female vocals aka avante garde student radio tunes. And don’t ever admit to being bored – that would be unprofessional and unkind to the others who all seem to be keeping up the ruse that there is no place else they’d rather be. Thanks a lot Ford, thank you so much for the production line, and thanks very much to whoever the hell invented grey laminex and thanks a great big dollop more to whoever the hell invented corporate office culture and desk work. Ugh. I am like some well read, polite, educated, relatively well groomed, strategic thinking battery hen. Disillusioned today? Pecking at myself with my sad little battery hen beak? Crying out for the light of day and some texture to this laminex world. Oh no, not at all…

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yah.
I fail to understand why it is 'professional' of me to sit here bored off my tits and look busy; but 'unprofessional' of me to say 'hey there's no work here for me to do so I'm going home'. No, I must stay till 5pm wasting hours of my life that I'll never get back.

'Professional' is a code word for contributing to one's own oppression by playing along with the fantasy that all is produced in neat 8 hours 5 day economically efficient slots in exchange for an amount that is an exact reflection of what one contributes to the world.

3:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home