Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Gaping like a fish

The girl comes up to me at the bar and looks at me and reaches towards the stool and says ‘doyoumindifisanyonesittingcanitakethestool?’ or similar, I assume, and I say ‘err yes. Umm no’ not knowing whether the question was ‘do I mind’ (no) or ‘can I take’ (yes). I kind of frown and smile and she takes the stool and I explain to my drinking buddy that I had no idea what she said, and he explains that in fact she hadn’t said anything, she’d just kind of fish mouthed and shrugged and looked plaintif with bared teeth and little empty mouthed puffs, like my cat doing his reproachful silent meow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, yes. I usually say "please, go ahead" but that can occasionally land you in hot water if what they actually said was "heysexycanIsithereandwooyoubytalkingstartrekallnight"

3:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home