Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Song I like

I have to smile every time I listen to Astrud Gilbertos ‘I haven’t got anything better to do’ – it’s a gentle, soaring, earnest kind of music, the words are very off hand, and you can kind of imagine a rock cover by Magic Dirt or maybe with Billie Holiday’s raw swing. At first the music tells you that it must be a gentle yearning love song, then the lyrics tell you that it’s a bitchy, ironic, cool hearted and completely offhand ‘breakup? Yeah whatever’ song, then the lyrics confess that it is maybe a song about a broken heart after all. I like it both as a ‘you know what, I really don’t care that much’ break up song, and also as a ‘whoops, maybe I do, but I want to pretend like I don’t’ song – as can relate to having felt both of these over the years.

To illustrate:
‘I think about him on alternate Thursdays when I haven’t got anything better to do’
‘Wasn’t I awfully smart not to fall and break my heart?’
‘And when he kissed me, he never moved me – nothing fantastic, thrilling or new
So if I’m crying, I’m only crying because I haven’t got anything better to do’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home