Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

a year gets ready to sprout

Well here we are in the early days of the year, which feels much like a little seed just sprouting, yet to pop its head up aboveground. I am in summer holiday mode and just can't quite shake it. This week I am enjoying the subtle breezes of a good breeze catching abode, playing with windows to catch gusts much like Merri Risa describes. I have this feeling that now would be a great time to be very busy, and um, productive and generally tackle everything and anything that is waiting to be done.. especially because I am in a little hiatus work and study wise... but no (computer says no?).

I instead am day dreaming and staying up late reading in the bath and then accidentallly not quite getting up as early as planned. I am doing things slowly and day dreamy, rather than fired up and efficiently. I've read a few books, cooked a few cooks, thought a few thoughts, listened to music, stared out the window. Things refuse to disentangle into tidy tasks and sit with hands in their laps in neat to do lists. Each thing I start leads me on to the next task, everything seems very connected and overlapping. I start doing one thing, I end up doing another. I haven't quite prepared for a presentation I'm giving on Friday, but I have defrosted the fridge. I set out to work towards orgainsing a wkshop I'm running later in the month, instead I end up web searching short courses and booking myself into a full week workshop in the city. Plan to read a book on radical ecology, end up reading 2 mystery novels, getting a sore arm from weighty hardcover schlock. It feels like holidays - when you stop being guided by a sense of 'acheivements' and just enjoy noodling about. I have made lists and mused on 18 month plans as a gesture of commitment to actuallly having a plan and not being blown around like a dandelion.

Maybe this is how January always feels, a little bit like a prequel to February, like a strange twilight month before the year really starts. A month to not reallly do much, but enjoy the sense of dreaming up a new year. When you work in an office there is always a sense of January being almost not counted - how could you? It's not really a real month afterall, it's still below ground, summoning up energy to sprout, to reach upwards to sunlight and a great big world beyond the surface of this small dark chamber where we sit as seeds.

Astro types talk of key planets being lined up in a 'grand cross' for the last few months, which is creating a time of frowning and stuckness (that's my version). According to Astrobarry it's fine to feel a bit spirituallly /materially constipated in January because Feb is going to be incandescent with exciting new things(paraphrased). Or, speaking of astrology, perhaps this slow feeling in Jan is more aligned with Chinese New Year. If the year didn't actuallly start until Feb, that would explain my January feelings. January would become the month of cleaning up the dishes and winding down after Decembers big party, Feb would be the next morning when you wake up fresh and excited about going out to eat bruschetta. Or something.

Welcome back to Southern Cheese by the way, nice to hear from you! And a happy birthday to Mermaid grrl enjoying a warm one no doubt up in steamy Brisvegas. Have a glass of bubbly for me!

NB Hmmm my weekly stars actually contain the line 'Yes, it's tres woo-woo but so are you. '. So that explains it.

1 Comments:

Blogger meririsa said...

My Astrobarry horoscope is a big lesson in constructive criticism! "Surely, you can find a carefully structured and hyperconscious manner in which to say it, so as to minimize the potential of inadvertently flustering feathers."
Ha ha! But yet - even worse than January as a whole is the first week of January. Each time I go back to work in this week, I think "never again - it's a waste of time". You spend ages in the kitchen talking about holidays/christmas and delaying getting back to your desk, and this year the 2 blokes in the office with me were regularly updating each other with cricket test scores!! Like every 15 minutes. I even found myself starting to care, and make appropriate noises!

9:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home