Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

I live in Noddyland

Yes it's official - I really do.
I can walk to work. In the other direction I can walk to the studio.
I can walk around the corner to shops and cinema and coffee shops (and we're not talking pack a backpack and tell the ranger when you plan to arrive kind of walk either). I can walk and say hi to shop owners I know, and see Billy the wine shop man walking his bub or chatting with his missus on the street. I can wave and smile to 'thanks sweetie' the bread seller or the cheery laundromat couple who will pat your hand and sell you chillies from their garden. I can be mildly leered at by the same familiar and brightly coloured street paving blokes. People walk dogs. Babies coo in libraries. Older ladies shine in cardies and spiffy do's. There is a flower seller with wares on the footpath. There are freshly baked french pastries from the family business. There are my favourite bookshops. My house is high ceilinged and gets direct sunlight. My room is warm and snug. My housemates and I cook meals for each other and tonight were giggling and dreaming up fun learning activities to do together as a household - like reading a classic play, or maybe a great classic novel. Maybe reading it outloud or acting it out. I buy chirpy potplants and sing. Have I fallen asleep and am dreaming this whole life from some snug and cosy children's book from my past? Am I in a tiny little piece of manufactured western afluence and strife free living? Is this Community? Or is this just what being on holidays feels like?

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Prior said...

Hi J whats the best way to get in touch re mega printing table? PS your holidays sounds beautiful!

8:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nodding of another kind... I just went out to check the mailbox with E-chan and he said "J's house?", and I clarified "you want to go to J's house?" and he nodded!
xxx
meririsa

5:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home