Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Boozy old loungeroom-dancing cat woman

..is potentially what I am turning into. And liking it, which I suspect makes it worse. Had mountain spice over tonight and MsC - both mountain chicklets - to do weeny little paintings for her soon to arrive bub (due date just after the lovely MerriRisa). We ate curries and painted funny little animals and swirly flowers and chatted in that dreamy way you do when your hands are busy and you can mildly wonder things and go back to things and get silly. Popped heater on, the proper gas one,for the first time this winter. Well, we did use the electric one when Aunty B was up, but it hasn'treally been cold enough till this week for me. Now it is. So, cozy loungeroom fun.

Then they go and I decide to finish the bottle of red (was almost empty honest, ahem..)and 'get more steps'. What this means is that at work we have joined a 'corporate fitness challenge'. Which sounds hideous - like actually going to the gym, and doing triathalons before breakfast on a Sunday or wearing matching lyrca or perky white caps and hair in swinging shiny ponytails - none of which I am very keen on. But it's not. Hideous. It's just that we all (our team of 10) get pedometers and get to know how many steps we do a day. Apparently 10,000 is the target if you want to meet the level of physical activity to keep healthy. That's about 6km. BUT.. and here's the good news... that counts everything. Walking to the kitchen to make tea, walking to the letterbox, to the printer. Everything. We have figured out that a very innactive day (bed - bus - desk - home again) is about 2,000 steps, and that around 6,000 is quite easy is you head out at lunchtime (even just to walk to a cafe / park / book shop). I have not quite yet hit 10,000 in the few days I've given it a go. Tonight however, I am excited to see my counter at 9366. Which means that I plan to loungeroom dance my way to 10,000. Yihah! Wonder how the upstairs neighbours will like that? Will have to selectively boogie on the non-squeaky floorboards.

2 Comments:

Blogger meririsa said...

It's freaky how sedentary we are compared to "when Grandma was a girl". I remember when I joined a gym for about 6 months a few years back, when I worked in the city and didn't have a car. When i was having my initial fitness assessment, instructor was amazed at how fit I was from just walking everywhere (wasn't swimming at the time). Hauling shopping bags and going out for little walks to the shop all add up!!

Never have actually managed to get hold of someone's pedometer and see what I do on my average day, but guess I'd be clocking around the 2000 mark at present, but think that's fine for a lady in my condition. I wonder what does 800-1000m in a pool equate to in steps??? (I know - not exactly relevant to the "initiative"...)

Re: the neighbours below - what if you're just wearing socks? Surely that would muffle the noise somewhat? Keep going until they complain - your health is more important!!

5:58 pm  
Blogger J said...

Its the fact that the boards are sprung and some squeak like a squeaky bed. Socks don't help unfortunately. But then again realistically White Stripes at midnight may prove to be more noisy than the boards anyway????

1:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home