Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Monday, June 09, 2008

Oh and a note on categories

What I find immensely funny about a paperwork purge is that my penchant for categorising comes out in full force waving it's clipboard and licking its pencil with a mad gleam of category-love, dictating that things go in little piles to be filed and actioned. What is most funny, is that this librarian-naturalist-stamp-collecting inspired order-zealot within me, likes to be very particular about categories, so much so that there almost ends up being so many particular piles with their own theme that the number of categories equals the number of items, thus completely undermining any benefit of grouping and categorizing in the first place.
For example, a pile of work stuff quickly becomes 7 piles: 'random stationary item that accidentally came home and now should be repatriated' (name badge holders, postit note pads), 'cut out articles from the paper that are great examples from other organisations or ideas for funding sources to be photocopied and given to the right people with an explanatory note'(three dog eared articles or ads), 'brochures and booklets from workshops I went to that I either need to file into relevant project folders or keep as examples' (a bunch of these), 'half written articles or sketchy ideas for things to write or do' ... etc. I actually really love it, love the herding of objects into groups, the making sense of chaos, finding relationships between things and homes for things. Amazes me to reconnect with this fussy little libarian who emerges anytime I need to make order out of a pile of random papers I've stored for later.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home