Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Friday, April 04, 2008

aherm. Doesn't seem so bad now.

Oh my lovelies, what a patient reading lot you are. Turns out what I needed was a bloody good night's sleep and a completely slack day off consisting of:
- quickly tidying before the cleaners came (no, funnily, not some 'painters' euphemism, the actual cleaners, a whole family with buckets and mops, tho' sometimes my period does feel like that)
- going to the library (one of my favourite all time daggy cute places) and borrowing quirky English comedy DVDs (Big Train and Fry and Laurie - yah!)
- going to the local op shop for the sake of researching Tshirts for remodelling but instead having a random indulgence with 80's retro sexretary work shirts, and soaking up the wonderful prosaic, 'go on, make me a cuppa love, Nigel could you get the till, I don't touch those card things' vibe that only a second hand shop staffed with people nudging 80 in the middle of a week day can provide. Also bought random foxy dress. (note - possibly my second favourite daggy cute place after the library. It's not everywhere you get to listen to people singing along to Joe Cocker and showing people their thermal underwear in the middle of a mild Autumn. Honestly that kind of low key, that's right love, pop it over there and don't mind the hangers, could really be the new Day Spa. Preloved knitwear therapy we could call it)
- going to a ladies wear shop that shall remain unnamed and getting a new pair of jeans and having a chatty sales girl give me friendly honest advice about exactly what cut of denim to swathe my hind quarteres in
- having aimless coffee
- sending parcels to rellos including mum's partners birthday - and on time, no less! Yah.

Sure my day of leisurely meandering did mean that I neither went to the studio to further my fabulous exitic career as a arty something or other, nor did it see me finish the dreary work tasks that were completely unavoidably due today, but it was very relaxing, and nice.

Then, after more relaxing with the housemates and a nice dinner and shared tv (did anyone catch the final episode of Life on Mars - ooh ambiguous!), I launched into the work I had still to do by the following morning. And stayed up way too late and almost finished it. Then did superhuman effort of early start to finish it before heading to my morning engagement. Feeling very glad I handed in the stuff I was working on - though only small components of bigger projects, were things that didn't really ring my bells and I really didn't want to do but felt glad to finish.

Had a full day out of the office for professional development - think this made me feel better too, as had been starting to feel like I was always skipping this stuff to get work finished/ meet deadlines, and so missing out on keeping my skills up. Enjoyed a morning workshop (art and community engagement) and afternoon seminar (a quizillion economists speaking on measuring progress towards sustainability - think national level aggregate indices a go go - and then maybe go watch paint dry instead).

Which I then topped off with one of those 'day to night' outfit changes in the loo (ooh glamorous) and emerged to go meet EcoChick for an exhibition opening, sporting my new dress and ridiculous teal stockings, and only slight headache from too much pondering about substitutability of different stocks, prercautionary principle, and resilience. Nothing a few white wines poured by a gleaming nordic looking young gay man in a very crowded and well designed gallery couldn't fix.

Had dinner at Sydney establishment cafe that I had been meaning to go to for ever, with EcoChick, after determining the vegetarian nature of it's offerings. Tottered home telling stories and laughing. Came home to lovely surprise present from Mr Fergal Sharkey - a book which is both a graphic novel AND a mystery nove, in one - holy shit, two of my favourite literary offerings all in one. Very nice.

And yes, guilty as charged, crap at keeping in touch. The funny thing is, when I do feel lonely I feel less like getting in contact - how peverse is that? But thanks for your thoughts. Guitar Boy, I'll see u in your town before you get here, so catch up beers wont be far away, but like the May plan too, we can rock out ! and Miss B, yeah ok, we can have tandem couch potatoing by skype, just email me instructions, you know I'm crap at all that stuff.

But, before I sign off and put this weary head on pillow (and funky new teal tights in the wash) a few shout outs are in order:

First goes to Miss Angel, who got a mention tonight at the exhibition opening I was at - thanked by the MC for being a judge for the competition no less, rubbing shoulders with the artsy set, you go funky design girl!

Second goes to Mountain girl and her crew for having a very healthy lovely baby girl just 2 days ago, and popping her out in just 4 hours. Very good news and hope to meet the new arrival soon.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger BSharp said...

sorry for rather petulant late night post myself...

I know, come to Amsterdam! it will be summer soon.

8:54 pm  
Blogger alison said...

I can help you install skype if you want.

12:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home