Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Hot hot hot, yes I like it a lot

So played soccer (football) today at lunch. The second time. It was only ‘training’ if that’s what you call a lunchtime kick-around in preparation for the actual competition we have entered a work team in and that I somewhat foolhardily joined. I think the last time I played a team sport was a whole decade ago and then some. I don’t think I really even did it then except for when we had to at school. Sure I ran and jumped over things for a few years and even won events at sports days, went to the state athletics comp, but did averagely. Never ran quite fast enough to start training or have a strategy or care much. Never was s sporty spice, more bookish spice. Maybe just lazy. Definitely cerebral over physical, especially after puberty hit and bodies became all awkward and embarrassing for those few years. But. This year is my ‘less thinking, more doing’ year – right?? So I joined. And was prepared to be completely inept, frustrated and even upset when faced with a complete inability to make contact with the ball or remember the rules or kick a goal. So 2 weeks in and maybe it’s not as bad as all that. There’s lots of laughing and lunging and tripping over. People are kind and say ‘oh nice shot’ or ‘so close!’ when people get close to the goals, or ‘nice save’ if you get the ball from someone (even if it then ends up going out because you’ve kicked it randomly into the other side of the park). I do go very red in the face though – like some 3rd degree sunburn victim. So spot the unfit girl. But also I think it’s the standing in the sun at lunchtime for an hour. Who does anything in the summer sun for as whole hour?? It’s not even shady! Luckily the actual competition is indoor. I think would have preferred the rooftop games at night rather than lunchtime in some venue which is likely cramped and probably badly decorated, and likely smelly. Oh but other than those climatic, temperature regulation and décor related concerns, it’s been fun. So if anyone wants to sit pubside soon and watch strategic games over a beer and point out good moves, or just generally tell about winning strategies (because I don’t have any) I’m in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home