Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

The little things can be so big

Just a very quick reflection on how the little things that can be so lovely. This week, a few nice gestures have been like little rays of sunshine through the gloomy clouds of scary unsettling house move. Sunday night at drinks at the pub (kind of goodbye to mountain friends part 2) some recently made friends came with their 2 full-of-energy wonderful kids, who gave me a little chocolate they’d bought at the vegan expo they’d been at in Sydney. I was surprised it had made it all the way up the hill without being eaten, and tickled that they gave it to me and told me all about how yummy they were and how if I was tired I could just nibble a bit of it and it would wake me up. Made me think of Alice in Wonderland and I’ve had it in my jacket pocket these last 3 days like a little emergency power pill.

Then there was the person at the supermarket who saw me approaching the nest of carry baskets with towering armfuls of slippery scattery little things (like cat food and masking tape rolls and bicarb) and lifted one out for me with a smile, waiting until I got close enough to pour them all in, and stood there holding it while it caught them all. A nice smile too like ‘hmm, I think you need a basket!’

Then Aunty B surprised me at work with a small bundle of brand spanking new underwear of the socks and knickers variety to replace some that I apparently had lent her in the past when she’d stayed over, but I don’t really remember it, and as far as I’m concerned she just morphed into the angel of providing clean underwear when all your clothes are in the washing basket or packed. Gotta love a friend who knows both how big your arse is and what size socks you wear.

Thank you all for every little kind gesture you’ve made to me, or other friends, or to complete strangers – it all helps make this a nicer place to be.

PS My horse for the Melbourne Cup office sweep came lucky last today. It meant that I got $2.30 back for my $2. Woo hoo.

1 Comments:

Blogger mistermicool said...

Jade girl, you are the queen of kind gestures!!! I am thrilled to bits with the Urban Art Project!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!

7:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home