Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

South of the border down butchers paper way

I've been in Melbourne for a few days, firstly for work and then for fun. Saw the Picasso exhibition "Love and War" about his life with his lover Dora Maar and then their time relating to the Spanish Civil War and the German occcupation of France. Heavy stuff. I'm a bit too pooped from the whirlwind of movement across towns to post all the stuff I thought about the exhibition right here and now, but I willl share one thing I loved. A little note from Picasso that just said "Dora Dora Dora Dora" etc. in rows in pencil across the back of an invitation to someone's exhibition opening. I thought it was a cute love note - abstract and full of longing.

Friday was spent in a flurry of butchers paper and running sheets. That was also exhausting (maybe I'm low on iron, everything feels exhausting this week!). Facilitating 11ish people a few weeks back was cause for complaint (if you remember that whingey post). Well Friday was 44 people! All day! Obviously I wasn't doing it solo, and our lead facilitator is great, but still, come 5pm, my colleagues and I were at the bar in slight catatonia, drinking red wine and trying really hard not to mingle any more than was completely unavoidable. Those of you who work in jobs where you have to get adults to act a bit like adults(Bryan, please listen to Laura, she's talking - and excuse me, the crayons are not for eating), or relate to the general public for hours at a time will probably understand that particular feeling. Aaah.

Caught up with an old workmate too, who is living a nice studenty life in funky inner suburbs of Melbourne. We had a tipsy walk of his suburbs and I was deliciously appalled at the most (THE most) hideous furniture and bridal dress shops in the world. A mix of opulent plastic fake Versaille white shiny bed-mansions in the furniture shops and tacky dead flies, manky manicquins and veils in the bridal dress shops. Eeew.

1 Comments:

Blogger Georgie George said...

in regards to the picasso exhibition, this is what I thought when I saw it:

"how cool it is when art exhibitions examine the life and social milieu of the artist, as this exhibition does with Picasso's relationship with Dora Maar"
The Lee Miller biography, which has all her fantastic photographs plus account of her interesting history also touches on the friendship she had with Picasso in the 30s and 40s, leading to her husband writing his biography. It was very cool going to an exhibition and seeing all the photographs of their mutual friends, back when they were young, but chilling when you read that they hadn't survived WW2.

5:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home