Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Fragment (computer says no?)

‘Fragment (consider revising)’ my computer tells me and I think – look, I know it’s a fragment, but don’t you know some of the best things exist in fragments? Have you never heard of poetry? Have you never seen a weathered ancient torso without it’s arms or head? The glimpse of someone as they leave the café? The drifting portion of a song on the wind? My poor, deluded, sentence-fixated friend (I want to say), have you never enjoyed a fragment? I feel that I am doing my part for the bringing back of fragments to the written word. The incomplete. The half formulated. The sketchy outline. Maybe nouns and verbs and adjectives would like to sit alone for a while sometimes and not be flanked by their claustrophobic hot breathing comrades. Imagine being so restricted, so chaperoned that you could never enjoy a walk down the page on a breezy afternoon by yourself and a few prepositions. Imagine never being able to sit there in the sun pouring through a window in your beautiful self-contained solitude? A nice noun. My verb sitting still. This lovely warm adjective. Contained and Fragmented. ‘Ignore once’ I type, but in my heart, I say ‘don’t ignore, acknowledge and celebrate and not just once, but every time.’

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How does MS Word cope with haiku?

Revise fragment?
Tyranny of verbs and nouns!
Let my words float free

6:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home