Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Miss-Adventure

A few little things to share on a cold Monday night.

Firstly - why is it that only boys with a slightly mad look about them seem to catch my eye lately? I gave a talk tonight at an info night for a community org that I've done some volunteer work with before and at the end when the mingling lights cameback on and I sat down the guy behind me said - "yeah, but what's the point - all the whales and turtles will be dead in 20 years anyway..' and the other speaker chipper, younger, blowdried and better at not engaging with intense furrowed brow types - turned in her seat and said 'oh yes they will, if we keep doing things like this!' with a white toothy still-at-uni-and-certain-about-the-world smile(slightly reminiscent of old auunt Audrey steadfastly sweeping family issues under the carpet with another slice of Christmas pudding and cup of tea)and promptly left the scene to mingle while I stayed there to hear him say 'because with climate change we'll lose all those coastal areas, and the krill aren't going to survive - we've only got 10 years to do something' and instead of offering him a sherry and turning up the Bing Crosby I look right at him and say 'yeah, you're probably right'. We talk a while longer and get onto IR laws and refugees and back to climate change and I start to find myself finding his intense brown eyes and no bullshit slightly lined face kind of sexy and suspect maybe that on some bizarre cellular level I transmit that information, because while we continue to talk about the worst that everything has to offer, just for a moment, in that honesty I feel a decided frisson (or was that just my stomach murmuring in complaint at the cheddar and jatz that passed for dinner?)

Oh dear.

And, on the topic of hormones (were we?), guess who had a date sat night? yes an honest to gooodness actual date. ish. thing. Guess who organised said date in the electrical aisle of Kmart? (ooh classy). Guess who is now wondering if it was such a good idea to 'give it a go and get to know someone better and get back on the horse/bike/wagon/whatever of dating?' Erm, that would be me. In typical random bouts of brutish honesty that I seem to dabble in blogwise, here are 5 reasons why I think it was a good idea and 5 more that I think it was shabby. Tell me wise cyberfolk, what is a girl to do?

5 reasons why making a date in the electrical aisle of Kmart last weekend was a ripper of an idea:
1. Good exercise in 'reading the signals' right and responding. Think of it as a remedial community college course in 'guess whether someone is interested or not'. I now have a statement of attainment that I can put in that folder along with my cv.
2. It was kind of fun, and stopped me spending sat night in loungeroom dancing
3. I didn't die - henceforth disproving the recently tightly held maxim that 'I couldn't possibly - I would either die of boredom or fright'. In this case neither was true.
4. I learnt something new about breeding chickens and about the local folk music scene (ooh sunday arvo folk jams at the pub and if you participate you get free drinks! Watch me dust off my triangle*)
5. I thought it would be the start of me being terribly grown up and light-hearted about these things rather than hiding away in my art deco ivory tower reading Seneca waiting for Mr/Ms right to scare the bejesus out of me by arriving through my loungeroom window waving a ridiculously oversized bunch of flowers and delivering an armful of lovely tattered penguin classics at my feet with a flourish

Why maybe it was a really shit idea:
1. He suggested at the end of the night that we see each other again sometime - which I agreed to genuinely in principle until he then said 'like, what about next weekend?'
2. He then rang and suggested we catch up today (Monday - as in the day after the day after Saturday)
3. He then apologised for having to work next weekend and having a commitment to be in Sydney to see a band rather than be in the mountains and suggested that next Monday could be good if today was out for me...
-- To all of the above insert the comment "argh, it was just one date!!!!! I barely know you** we are not an item, we aren't even friends!! Please stop freaking me out"
4. Were the 3 above not bad enough?
Try again for 4. How on earth does this help me with my burgeoning crush on Fernando the oil painting, guitar playing indie rock god in sultry lab coat??
5. I now feel a little creepy like I am a mean leady on-ey bitch who will only crush the heart of this gentle chicken loving man, and henceforth I should stay in said ivory (beigey-custard really) art deco tower and work way from Seneca through Jung to Descartes, buy more cats and invest in some zany hats.


*As in the musical instrument - that wasn't a sleazy euphemism for pleasuring oneself.
** Friend of a friend, not complete stranger ie had met a few times, but seriously in the scheme of things barely know

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As in the musical instrument - that wasn't a sleazy euphemism for pleasuring oneself.
snigger!

I think you're doing the best you can with an imperfect system. Maybe you need to go on a few dates-that-aren't-really-dates-just-hanging-out

People's hearts are tougher than you think.

10:23 am  
Blogger BSharp said...

Nothing wrong with dusting off the triangle, or cleaning out the trombone.. so to speak. Er, nah , don't think it was a crap idea. And you definitely passed "reading the signals 101" if he's all keen to catch up. Maybe just make one movie date (to a really *difficult* movie?) for the weekend after next (after that?) and no others .. he'll work out its not the affair of the century.

11:04 am  
Blogger Mermaidgrrrl said...

He sounds a little bit too keen I think. Of course he's already desperately in love with you... he's only human. But can't he play it cool?

7:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home