Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Act III

‘Ok So I’ll have the thin crust vegetariano with olives thanks. Just a small. What’s ths mallest you have?’

He points – there is just one ring on the wall, it says ‘large’. He shakes his head at the absurdity of it and I laugh and say ‘Ok large’.

‘That’ll be $11.50 thanks. And I just need your name…And phone number. He then laughs and says ‘well it was a good excuse’ and I realise he has flirted with me and I say. ‘Oh, well it’s nice to be asked for a change!’ He seems incredulous ‘really?’ I say ‘oh for sure, no one asks me out ever. It’s been like ages.’ He says ‘well I’m actually engaged, but if it wasn’t for that…’ I smile forgivingly and say ‘engaged huh? Cool. how long tilll the wedding?’ He says ‘you tell me...’ I say ‘oh a long engagement is kinda cute and old fashioned.’ He says ‘we’ve already been engaged for a year and nine.’ ‘And nine? And nine months? That’s funny, hip speak!’ He smiles and says ‘yeah like one pound and six or something’. He says ‘we’ve already known each other for 6 years,’ I say ‘well shit if you’ve known each other that long and you can still stand each other you shoud get married!’ he says ‘yeah, that’s what we figured.’

When the pizza comes I eat it straight out of the box as I walk home, marvelling at how good it is despite being from one of the places I had vowed never to patronise. It is hot and salty and tastes like olive oil, which I like, and keeps my mouth warm while my fingers and nose turn to ice in this cold night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home