Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Goin to the flicks on a saturdee night

Went to see 'Match Point' - Woody Allans most recent flick featuring Scarlet Johanson. It so wasn't what I thought it might be, but it was a well made and had an inpact. Not quite as light and wry comedy of errors menage a trois with class commentary and more, um, operatic. And, so cool, went to the littlest cutest cinema I know of in Sydney. It's up in the mountains - Mt Vic Flicks at Mount Victoria - and has those old style vinyl bucket seats with nice round studs along the edge of the vinyl. Admission $9 every night (noice!)they also sell tea and coffee for $1 a cup, in china mugs!! Actual motley mugs like you are at someone's house. They also sell little prepackaged packets of lollies, it's all very cute.

I always feel like I'm in a small town cira 1950's as I look around the cinema to see who I know from the mountains. Usually I spot someone I at least know by sight from the co-op or friend of friend's if not actual know know. Belonging to a small place is kind of cool. Caters well to the nosy! Of course I had a choc top and a few bullets, and maybe a mint slice along with a cup of tea and now I am all sugared out. Not sure if I'm fighting flu, experiencing lingering sleep deprivation or a sugar high, but am quite flushed and awake but sleepy too.

Apparently I am not going to coach the Australian team anytime soon
Last night was filled in on a range of soccer, ahem that's football for those in the know, tips. 'Uruguay is a very soccer-rich nation' was a line I loved, thankyou DrJ, and also various bits of handy info about how teams prepare for the World Cup through their selection of opponents for friendlies, and most impotantly, where to watch the matches coming up. Apparently there are a multitude of e-lists going around for organising the social aspects of World Cup here in Sydneytown. My aim is to learn just enough so I can fake my way through a few workplace convos and find myself nestled in at a bustling bar somewhere cheering some random team at alll theright moments. It's about fellowship and comraderie, obviously, and perving on those spunky boys in their shorts and funky hairdos.
Goose/ hoose/ gus is the coach of the Aussie soccer team - he is a 'failed soccer player' (not my words) who allegedly earns 500K for 20ish days work. I thouhgt it sounded like a good gig and that I qualify - DrJ suggested perhaps not. Shame. Betty Sue hilariously outlined a proposed scenario if I (any of us at the table really) did win the gig. " 'Your goal', 'my goal' - You know boys, I think that we should work towards finding a common goal, you know something we can all aim for..."

Bubbees on their way
The lovely MeriRisa is looking very ready for baby arrival, as is the lovely Mountainspice. Both nesting and adjusting to the nicer pace of life sans pod-work, concentrating on being relaxed and healthy. C'mon bubbies, we are all excited about you arriving!! Mermaidgrrl and LM are valiantly staying patient and optimistic through their fertility efforts, enduring (in MMG's case) some pretty hideous physical and emotional side effects of the drugs. She described it as premenstrual times 100, which means that in my case I probably literallly wouldn't be able to leave the house, and if I did would scream at strangers for, you know, wearing offensive perfume, or looking at me the wrong way, and end up bawling on their shoulders. Hats off to her for not only going through it but also for being brave enough to share all the highs and lows with people around so we can be part of it.

Follow in my footsteps
Step thing going well. Racked up a whopping 1200 yesterday, in thanks partly to my walk from glebe to newtown, which isn't that far but added a few thousand. Nice work! A few little hiccups so far - today accidentally reset the counter to zero(have no idea how), have dropped it in the kitty litter and yes, as I had feared, into the loo. Proving that it is water resistant, which I guess is nice to know.

Object not found
Very excited. Made contact with the guy who made this site and offered to add some of the various beautiful B&W shots I have ammassed from second hand shops and junk shops - where I fall in love with the awkardness and earnestness of these faces posing so long ago, and feel sad that they are abandoned unloved in a cane basket in a shop, so buy them - and he got back to me and is keen. I am to start scanning next week, he is even going to name a gallery after me, yah, cute. Love people with zany side projects that they do just coz, just coz they dig it.

NB Did express this sentiment at work last week - the notion that I love people loving their thing, and how nice it is when people are reallly into something, and girl next to me - Irish and mega-efficient and deadpan as they come - said 'yeah, unless it's a serial killer...' to which I laughed and thanked her for being, as ever, resolutely practical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home