Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Friday, October 12, 2007

juggle juggle

Oh another busy week. Friday here and I’m exhausted and ready for a hot bath.

You know, I think the challenge that I face often is that I am trying to fit in 3 main things into a life that seems to only have room for two of them at any given time. Those 3 things are:
- my work and career – in all it’s erratic, long hour, intense periods of focus, fun nutting out problems and lovely writing up solutions glory
- my interior life – lying in the bath thinking, reading, having quiet time, being at the studio, reflecting about life through writing, blogging about all the things that catch my eye and make me think
- relationships – having a drink with workmates after work, meeting friends on the weekend, seeing and having meals with my housemates, spending time with my cat, getting to the post office to send that parcel, calling mum for a chat, being at home to call my Grandma back, remembering family birthdays

I think I can really pare it all back to these main areas of things that I do. Life admin is probably in there too – cooking, eating, bathing, washing clothes, buying stuff, but I don’t really care all that much about it and it just kind of randomly happens in amongst everything else, and when it doesn’t I eat strange dinners and wear slightly quirky outfits, but don’t mind all that much.

For example – tonight – dinner with friends (lovely! But could also be having a bath and tidying my room, or finishing a section of my desperately due report). Tomorrow – Surry Hills festival with old friends or write up a section or have some down time away from people to think and daydream, write stuff and maybe draw? You see? It feels like I can’t quite fit in a full working life and full social life and full interior life.

And it’s hard to know what to shave time off, because I really really need time to myself, I really enjoy my work, and I do value having good relationships with people and like contact (possibly in small doses). Go part time? Have less friends? Accept that I’m a nerdy hermit and give up the pretense of having a ‘normal’ life?

Off to the pub now. These questions can wait for resolution, beer and chat beckons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home