Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Friday, June 22, 2007

I am a gherkin (or hotel life in charades)

So, I order a salad - goats cheese salad from room service. Yah. When I ordered it I asked for extra lettuce because I had it yesreday for lunch too, there's not all that much vego on the menu, and it was nice, but there wasn't much in the way of greens and I had asked for extra lettuce and got it and it was great. So today I had to explain at length what extra lettuce means. It arrives, looks lovely, but has only 2 bits of lettuce and the rest is gherkin and goats cheese and all sorts of things that I don't mind eating, but are very strong flavours. So I call, and say, you know, sorry, I asked for extra lettuce, could you bring me extra lettuce, don't mind if you have to charge extra, whatever, could I please just have some extra lettuce. We both repeat the word lettuce backwards and forwards, several times. So. It arrives, and, I am pained to say, it is a mini bowl of exactly what arrived earlier. A replica in miniature, more cheese, more gherkins, and a teensy letuce leaf underneath. I actually started laughing until I realised that was really rude, so I tried explaining but the woman looked acusingly at me and said yes extra lettuce and put it on my table and left. So, I felt like complete goose, and worry that I am now the annoying and greedy woman in Room XXXX with an insatiable hunger for salad who keeps saying 'lettuce' all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home