Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

single commuter seeks domestic companion, gsoh, previous applicants need not apply.

Oh my lovely blogpals and real world pals. Thankyou for your kindliness and suggestions for cheer. I am feeling more chipper now after a good night's sleep and an arvo of rest, but realise that the commute thing is really a very silly idea long term. And just because I have an amazing capacity to forget how crap it felt last week and want to think I will always feel like I do right now does not mean now that it is all better or wont feel crap again!

Just had one of those 'oh darl I know' chats with a woman who owns the design shop in Katoomba. She is single, has a dog, lives by herself and used to commute daily to North Sydney. She commiserated about the 'nothing gets done during the week' factor and said that she was a weekend hermit, where she would only leave the house to walk the dog up the street to go buy the paper then scuttle back home to do housework, chill, regroup - whatevs. She suggested I stay in town Monday nights and Thursday nights - leaving only 2 full day commuting days. 'I'm sure you have a neighbour who wouldn't mind feeding your cat!' she said, and she's probably right. She said that commuting even made her think that having a husband would be helpful sometimes. 'Husbands are good for 3 things' she said: 'looking after you when you get sick, buying you flowers, and financially'. 'Oh and occasionally physically'. she said, wavering an unconvinced looking fourth finger. I laughed and thought that maybe arriving home to a cooked dinner after a 12 hour day, cuddles on a cold morning, and remembering to pay the phone bill would do it for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home