Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Romper room and my possible new room?

At the risk of turning my blog into an episode of Romper Room* (the worst tv kids show ever?) where they used to say hello to special friends in the magic mirror (ahuh, as you do), I want to wish Little Mister a belated happy b-day, and Angel a great three oh for today, and welcome back Aunty B and Biz to the land of Oz.

And speaking of rooms - the quickest of updates on the commute saga. Checked out room plus *study* in very inner city suburb in a friends share house last week. Ooh was that baby small! think double bed taking up the vast majority of floor space in the bedroom and the *study* also being a *walkway* into the outside clothes hanging space. Do i want to live in a shoebox where I will have to garage sale half my stuff and cleverly package the rest of it in stackable plastic boxes ("welcome to our lives!" I hear the inner city set cry). Do I want to live amongst urban squalor and the great chook raffling of experience from sublime to seedy to vaguely dangerous? Do I want to only see verticle lines and be surroundd by concrete? Weighed up against - do I want to get a stiff neck from sleeping upright on train for many hours a day? Do I want to invest 5 hours a day of my life just getting to and from other places I need to be? Do I want to have absolutely no time foranything else other than wporking and sleeping and traveling btwn Mon - Fri. Golly gee.

On the up side this particular home in this particular inner city suburb does have a good size 'living area' (as opposed to the bits of the house you flop around dead in?), a postage stamp side yard that I could plant a sunflower in andthat catty could sun himself in, and is a shortish walk to a community arts centre, a framing shop, an Irish restaurant (mm, just what I needed?) and lots of interesting brightly painted flakey terrace walls which I am itching to photograph. Probably also shortish walk to needle exchange, traffic jams, student squats and crime scenes - but hey, yin and yang right?

So kids, whaddya think? Should this green sea wash up on the streets of the big smoke? Can I handle the never ending proximity to people and miniaturised bonsai-like private space? Will I feel sad and mourn for my spacious book-lined study and handy built in linen presses (F it - where on earth will linen go in the potential new place??). Will moving to the city clinch once and for all that I am now returning to a sensible life of full time work and inner city single girl cliches without any of hope of a more multifaceted approach to filling ones days (bloody hope not). OR am I just a melodramatic spoilt dill who should get some perspective and be grateful for actually having a job and a home and the option of a new home? Yeah very likely.

Big hugs to everyone going through more difficult times than mine right now; anyone lonely, missing someone, not being treated nicely, worrying or wondering. I keep hearing stories that make me remember that I have very good fortune. Mermaidgrrl & Little Mister, especially thinking of you and sending you lots of happy fertile good luck vibes.

Speaking of fertility (Ed: argh- stop writing and get to bed!!), did have funny chat with (kinda cute arty buddhist) mountains fellow in the supermarket tonight (my shopping = deoderant..'which of these smells sums up exactly how I wish my armpit to be perceived and express itself in the world?', kitty litter and flat bread..live alone - who me??!)about lack of life plans. He excused me because I am a pisces - nice one! Very handy, like that. But also when I was bemoaning that I can't even figure out if I want to have babies, and that surely I should know that, so how on earth can I decide where to live, he laughed and told me that there was a little thing called the birds and the bees and that he might have to give me a little lesson on that at a later date, but probably best not in the supermarket. I laughed, firstly because I realised that it did seem like I was suggesting that I didn't actually know how to go about the process of making a baby, but also because being offered a lesson on the facts of life under the fluoro lights of Coles at 10.45 on a Tuesday night just about qualifies as a hot date these days! Of course I didn't say anything worthwhile back, because I was too tired and busy laughing at the idea that I just made an idiot of myself, although did amuse myself with several witty and even flirty imagined responses on the walk home.

* Possibly a South Australian thing? Like girls who wear lip gloss and pie floters. Should there have been a comma there - nasty image of wearing a pie floater..

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say stay where you are. If you live in the city, where the horizon is across the street, you feel pretty big and important because the horizon is so close. Live elsewhere, the horizon is miles away and you realise you're actually a little 'un compared to everything else.

Totally off teh topic: I made your rose and cardamom cake on the weekend - while it didn't taste exactly like I thought it would, it is now equal first with Nanna's Carrot Cake for the position of Favourite Love-Nest Cake.

8:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And now something less philosophical and more practical :).

Is there any possibility you can have the best of both worlds? Stay in the city one or two nights a week (you must know someone with a spare room or a sofa bed who wouldn't mind the company) and maybe work from home one day a week?

11:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear J
Sorry it took so long to post a response - wanted to think about what I could say, but more time on the issue hasn't enlightened me one little bit. I fully see your dillema. I decided I could commute for a year or two but it was only an hour each way and am now looking to stop working for a bit. The 5 hours a day sounds horrendous, and i couldn't do that personally. Assuming (for no particular reason) you want to stay with city job for a little while, can you live somewhere a bit further out that isn't so cramped and would allow for cat and space for substantial furniture collection? City councils do have art centres and the like also. Important thing is that you aren't isolated from people you love and want to see often.
I suppose I'm saying I wouldn't recommend the postage stamp inner city place with storage boxes. We are looking to move to somewhere a bit further out, cheaper and non-postage stampy ourselves. It's nice to be able to use the stuff that you keep with you, not feel like you are living temporarily, thinking "one day I'll find my paint brushes and do that little project I had in mind...".
However, if you were to quit city job to stay in mountains, I'm sure you could find things to do to pay the rent, and we'd certainly come up to visit you still :) Might be a bit hard to explain on your CV (care factor??)
Hope this was remotely helpful...
xxx

7:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home