Sea Green

Ephemera etc.

Saturday, July 24, 2004

Saturday night in down town Selangor

I am sipping a bourbon and cola, writing an assignment and listening to the Vines through the muffled ringing in my ears thanks to last nights exploits at a new nightclub called Rush. My first actual club experience in Malaysia - woo hoo, I guess it was about time?? Seven of us went, had dinner first outside at Damansara (Hainese Chicken rice for me, definitely in my top 10 favourite dishes here). I was sporting a very very tidy slick blowdry, fresh from the hairdressers with a (ridiculously overdue) haircut. My outfit was a little bit on the conservative 'god only knows what counts as a nightclub here' side but I needn't have worried as two of the other girls were in (oh!) sleeveless. The club was great, absolutely packed, really quite huge, good decor and funky crowd. In heels I was one of the tallest there, and the three Norwegians in our crowd were the only blondes, needless to say we had our fair share of stares. The crowd predominantly Chinese Malaysians, some Japanese, one or two Indians. We were possibly the only group of Malays there. Imagine seriously sporty compact Chinese girls with attitude grooving at their tables, some excellent long art-house mullets with fringes walking by, one girl in a zany white padded dress, a few queer girls in baggy tees going off to hard house, some great giant chicken hair boys doing the 'I wear my sunglasses at night' thing, the barman with a face full of metal and an ear full of perspex, loud loud loud. My highlights (in terms of crowd watching) were the Japanese girl with the gorgeous Peaches style 'I'm coming now' open mouth lip curl, batwing mini dress and orange sneakers avent garde jerky dancing and her slouched indie pop boy doing victory arms alongside her on the narrow illumated lighbox stage, and the pair of tall tight tee boys with wonderful jaw lines taking me back to the Imperial downstairs bar. Music was house, RnB (thankfully not much), some hip hop. I met a nice enough boy, friend of a friend, instantly likeable smile, apparently cynical and clever, from Singapore but here now. He told me I should get a local boyfriend to practice my Malay - hmmm subtle. Have his business card and am weighing up the follow up call. I idly wonder whether the 3 day rule applies this side of the equator or is it like water down the sink and all reversed? Just think of all the interesting cultural insights to be gleaned...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home